Friday, April 29, 2011

Painting kids

 Girl Wonder
oil on panel
24 x 12"
2011

Magic
oil on panel
16 x 12"
2011

I am not a big fan of most oil paintings of children. Often I find they are so overly sentimental- that all you can see is how the painter feels and nothing of the child themselves- images of angelic little empty shells. Norman Rockwell did kids well- he obviously met a few of them- he depicted children as actual human beings with an array of emotions, involved in activities children actually partake in. I don't paint children often, but when I do I really strive to show something of them, just as I do when I paint adults- show a glimpse of who they are and what makes them tick. These are paintings of my son, in the dragon suit and a lovely neighbour and school mate of his named Grace- I hope I served them well. 

No comments: